220.127.116.11 For the purpose of this part, the following definitions shall apply:
(1) “Aircraft” means any machine that can derive support in the atmosphere from reactions of the air other than reactions of the air against the earth surface
(2) ” Air Carrier” means an enterprise that engages in provision of transportation services by aircraft for remuneration or hire.
(3) “Airline” means any air transport enterprise offering or operating a scheduled international air service.
Note: Nothwithstanding the definitions in (2) & (3) above, for the purpose of this part, the words ‘Air Carrier’ and ‘Airline’ are used interchangeably.
(4) “Assessment” means an initial evaluation of a complaint by the Authority to determine the appropriate means of redress
(5) “Authority” means the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority
(6) ” ” Consumer” means consumer of civil aviation services
(7) “Baggage” means personal property of passengers or crew carried on an aircraft by agreement with the operator.
(8) “Cancellation” means the non-operation of a flight which was previously planned and on which at least one seat was reserved.
(9) “Cargo” which is an equivalent to the term “goods” means anything carried or to be carried in an aircraft or by means of surface transportation including, but not limited to, road or rail vehicles, except mail, or baggage carried under a passenger ticket and baggage check, but includes baggage moving under an Air Waybill or shipment Record. – insert annex definition
(10) “Compensation” means direct and/or indirect monetary and/or non-monetary benefits offered to passengers whose rights have been infringed upon..
(11) “Complainant” means:
(i) An air passenger;
(ii) One or more air passengers, where there are numerous air passengers having the same interest; or
(iii) In case of the death of an air passenger, his legal heirs or representatives making or continuing a complaint.
(12) “Complaint” means an allegation in writing made by an air passenger, a group of passengers or their legal heirs or representatives.
(13) “Confirmed Reserved Space” means space on a specific date and on a specific flight and class of service on an air carrier which has been requested by a passenger, including a passenger with a zero fare ticket”, and which the air carrier or its agent has verified, by appropriate notation on the ticket or in any other manner provided therefore by the air carrier, as being reserved for the accommodation of the passenger.
(14) “Denied Boarding” means a refusal by an airline to carry passengers who hold confirmed reservation and valid travel documentation, although they have presented themselves for check-in and/or boarding at the time stipulated by the airline , on grounds of oversold service.
(15) “Disembarkation” means the leaving of an aircraft after landing, except by crew or passenger continuing on the next stage of the same through-flight.
(16) “Embarkation” means the boarding of an aircraft for the purpose of commencing a flight, except by such crew or passengers as have embarked on a previous stage of the same through-flight.
(17) “Extra Ordinary Circumstances” means any mechanical, technical, operational, climatic, socio-political or any other conditions beyond the actual control of the party involved.
(18) “Fare”: means the price paid for air transportation including all mandatory taxes and fees. It does not include ancillary fees for optional services.
(19) “Foreign Aircraft” means an aircraft other than a Nigerian registered aircraft.
(20) “International Airport” means any airport designated by the Contracting State in whose territory it is situated as an airport of entry and departure for international air traffic, where the formalities incident to customs, immigration, public health, animal and plant quarantine and similar procedures are carried out.
(21) “Liability” means debt of the entity in the form of financial claims on entities assets.
(22) “Mishandled baggage” means baggage involuntarily, or inadvertently, separated from passenger or crew.
(23) “Passenger” means a person in whose name a ticket and a reservation is made and or confirmed and who is eligible to travel upon the stated flight pursuant to that ticket whether the ticket is purchased by the person or not and whether the ticket is zero fare ticket for which no fees or fare is paid.
(24) “Person” means any individual, firm, partnership, corporation, company, association, joint state association or body politic and includes and trustee, receiver, assignee, or other similar representative of the entities.
(25) ” Person with Disabilities” means any person whose mobility is reduced due to sensory or locomotor incapability, an intellectual deficiency, age, illness, or any other cause of disability and whose situation needs special attention and the adaptation to the person’s needs of the services made available to all passengers.
(26) “Ticket” means a valid document giving entitlement to transport, or something equivalent in paperless form, including electronic form, issued or authorized by the air carrier or its authorized agent.
(27) “Tour Operator” means, with the exception of an air carrier, an organizer of package travel, package holidays and package tours.
(28) “Unaccompanied Baggage” means baggage that is transported as cargo and may or may not be carried on the same aircraft with the person to whom it belongs. (29) “Unclaimed Baggage” means baggage that arrives at an airport and is not picked up or claimed by a passenger.
(30) “Volunteer” means a person who responds to the carrier’s request for volunteers and who willingly accepts the carriers’ offer of compensatory benefits, in exchange for relinquishing the confirmed reserved seat..